It is safe to say that Mussoorie is one of the top tourist destinations in the country. People from both national as well as international borders love to come to Mussoorie in search for a meditative tranquillity in the hills.
Well what do you think makes Mussoorie so popular amongst the tourists? Well one reason is definitely the presence of many sites for excursion near Mussoorie. Yes you heard it right, there are a lot of places that you can go on a picnic to when staying in Mussoorie. All you need to do is arrange for a transport from any one of the Massoorie hotels where you will be staying and then head out to any picnic spot of your choice! Come, let’s take a look at some of the must visit picnic spots near Mussoorie:
- Kempty Falls: This is one of the most gorgeous waterfalls that you will come across near Mussoorie. In fact if you are planning on travelling by road in a car from Dehradun to Mussoorie or vice versa, a little detour will land you right near the Kempty Falls. The beauty of the falling escapade of water is mesmerising and hence one of the biggest crowd pullers in this region. You can take a little picnic basket along with you and enjoy a fun time here by the Kempty Falls.
- Nag Tibba: Interested in combining trekking and picnicking? Well then there is no better option than Nag Tibba. It is the highest peak in this region with its height being almost close to 10,000ft! Just imagine the view that you will get to enjoy once you reach the top. The view from here is indeed breath-taking and if you can catch the sunrise from here, then nothing like it! This is about 55kms away from the main area of the city.
- Dhanaulti: Well if you are thinking about visiting a place that is undisturbed by the presence of too many tourists and has various corners that are yet to be explored, then book a car from any one of the best hotels in mussorie and travel to this little hamlet for a lovely time. It is about 25kms away from the main area of the city and hence it will not take more than an hour or so to reach there. This is a must visit place when in Mussoorie.
- New Tehri: This is a planned hill town which is located quite near Mussoorie. In fact you can go to New Tehri and stay for a couple of days. Since it has been built near the Tehri Dam, it has been named so.
- Bhadraj Temple: Another great place for trekking is the Bhadraj temple. Once you reach the temple you will be able to enjoy a splendid view of the Doon Valley which paints a very pretty picture indeed. This trek is ideal for moderate level trekkers and beginners can give a shot too.
So, there are quite a few interesting places near Mussoorie that call for a visit when staying at the hill station. Do not forget to visit them!